Thursday, July 26, 2007

The ORIGINAL Preps



I'm not sure if I should be honored or horrified that this book was recommended to me by "My Amazon". I order LOTS of books from these folks. Atleast $100 a month. When I came upon this book I figured they'd never steered me wrong before so why not? I have to tell you, it really is a must have. I LOVE this book. It takes you back...way back to the original Lilly, the original Cape, the original Ralph Lauren. It's mostly a picture book but you can just imagine your own family in some of those pictures and it's hilarious. What I love most about this book is that it really does take you back to a time when it wasn't all about WHAT you wore but HOW you wore it and the manner in which folks conducted themselves. We live in a world that is so chaotic (Britney, Lindsay, Paris). These are the women who will be the icons of our generation? I certainly hope not. I don't want my daughter to grow up obsessed with money or brands, but with a conservative ethic that comes from a good upbringing in a casual but elegant home full of love and realism. Is that so much to ask? If you read this book, you won't think so.

5 comments:

sle said...

I, too, was suggested to buy the book you mentioned. My first thoughts were do they think I am a snob? I will follow your recommendation and order the book which I have had in my "cart" since the recommendation a few weeks ago. Have you looked at the Bunny Williams book "An Affair With A House"? It looks equally as wonderful. I have enjoyed your blog!

workinthatpreppy said...

Yes, I plan to order this book today! I'll pass your blog on to my friend who LOVES chardonnay...I am a red wine drinker myself...

Suburban prep said...

I have it too. It is a very interesting book.

Head Hen said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think I would have bought it from the cover but I will now, after your recommendation. I've heard/read lots about Bunny Williams so this seems to be in the same vein and sounds enjoyable.

Happy Summer!

Anonymous said...

I was given this book when it came out as a gift and just love it.