Thursday, December 13, 2007

SO not worth the effort



Well, I tried to make the fudge covered marshmallows that I posted about a few days back. All I can think of to say is that it reminds me of a glorified Moon Pie sans cookie. And what a pain in the ass to make! You have to make the marshmallows. Not too difficult...just messy. Then you have to make the marshmallow cream. Apparently, I do not know what the consistency of marshmallow cream should be (no surprise since I've never actually tasted it) and over mixed mine. Then, you have to make the fudge. I think if I had used a real candy thermometer as opposed to the meat one I used then it might have worked out better. I also think that I might have burned the butter mixture. At any rate, my fudge turned out looking like cornbread batter but brown. No dipping consistency whatsoever.
The only problem then became that I had over 50 marshmallows cut and dipped in corn starch and ready to be dipped in chocolate, as well as a three and a half year old who was absolutely certain that she would be eating one when she got home from school. Damn me and my fabulous ideas.
I ended up melting a pound of semisweet chocolate and dipping them in that. It took forever and I think they might be a bit sweeter than they should be but atleast they're done!
In the future, I will most definitely be
ordering from the company.

6 comments:

so tired said...

Back to the macaroons........

Belle said...

I hate it when that happens...

k e r r y said...

so brave you are! I love moon pies!!

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

They were beautiful and delicious! And wasn't your ornament one of the most sought-after?!?!

PaperCourt said...

Sounds like a lot of work. Sorry it didn't turn out.

Paula@SweetPea said...

I saw that Martha episode, too, and thought about trying to make them. I won't now! Hubby thought they might be a good gift to order for work, but he decided on toffee instead.