Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Party Recipes

The cheese slaw pictured in my last post is truly a local phenomenon. It is amazing. I know it doesn't sound like it would taste good but I promise...you won't be disappointed. Dr. Daddy doesn't even like mayo and he loves it.

The recipe comes from this cookbook.



Lib Wilhelm's Cheese Slaw

1 pound swiss cheese, coarsely shredded (don't use the prebagged kind; it just won't work as well)
1 bunch green onions with tops, chopped
1/2 cup chopped mild banana peppers
1/2 cup finely chopped jalapeno peppers
mayonnaise
1 head cabbage

Combine the cheese, green onions, banana peppers and jalapeno peppers in a bowl. Add enough mayonnaise to bind and mix well. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Add additional mayo if needed at serving time.
Hollow out the center of the cabbage and fold back the outer leaves. Spoon the cheese mixture into the center. Serve with corn chip scoops, sesame sticks, carrot sticks, Pepperidge Farm Butterfly crackers.

YUM!

The chicken skewers with peanut dipping sauce is a Barefoot Contessa recipe and can be found here.
Grilled Lemon Chicken Skewers with Satay Dip

The Ginger Soy Flank Steak is super easy.

2 flank steaks (I buy them in packs of two from Sam's Club)
2 cups soy sauce
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup fresh grated ginger

Over medium heat cook soy sauce and sugar until sugar dissolves. Cool. Stir in ginger. Add two flank steaks to marinade and place in freezer bag. Marinate 8 hours or overnight. Grill on medium heat for 4 minutes on each side or until preferred doneness. Slice thin and serve.

ENJOY!

7 comments:

Preppy Napkin said...

I just finished making cheese slaw this am and I can't stop eating it. It is so yummy and easy!

Steph said...

I'm going to try it for our neighborhood's womens club meeting Monday night!
Thanks!

The 5 Bickies said...

Can't wait to try it...sounds yummy!

Just Kiddin' Photography said...

I think my girlfriend's husband put it best tonight when he said "This stuff is like crack". It is so true. You just cannot stop eating it!

The Charmed Life Online said...

This may be a dumb question, but are the jalapenos and banana peppers from jar or fresh? Thanks, I can't wait to make this!

The Charmed Life Online said...

I linked to this post and the birthday party revisited on my blog. Great recipe for the cheese slaw! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Anonymous said...

I just googled recipes for Cheese slaw b/c I lost mine! I came across a blog that said that she got hers on your blog, so here I am. And as I was reading "local phenomenon" I thought--is she from Roanoke--it's OURS!!! :)
and you are! yay! First time to see your blog, but I love it and will be back!