Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Curb Appeal

A friend of a friend recently asked me to give suggestions on paint colors for the exterior of her new home. The house is older with a hardyplank exterior. I immediately thought of my favorite house on the block where I live. It has the most amazing color combo. I don't know what it is...I just LOVE it.



Here is a photo of the house my friend bought. Simply put...RED.



And here's a mock up I did of what it might look like if they went with the color combo that I picked out. The colors in the mock up are a little more yellow toned that I wanted, but I couldn't get them just right. Anyway...you get the idea!



I would go with Benjamin Moore Yosemite Sand for the base color, add wood shutters and paint them Benjamin Moore Springfield Tan, paint the trim Benjamin Moore Navajo White, and the door Benjamin Moore Confederate Red. If it doesn't have one already, I'd have a hardwood storm door made for the front. Also, keep the rocking chairs and paint them the Navajo White or the Springfield Tan.





You could also go with a yellow base, black shutter, white trim combo, but I tend to think that with older homes, the darker colors hide flaws much better. Also good to remember...don't use a paint that's too glossy. That will also show any chipping paint that hasn't been removed or any flaws in the wood.

Hope that helps!

All paint color options available through My Perfect Color.

No comments: