Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I don't even know what to call this post, so it will have to remain titleless.

Yes, it's been a long time! If rumors in the blogging world are as potent as rumors in my hometown then I'm sure you all think I'm six feet under. I've debated A LOT about blogging regarding my absence and the final conclusion I've come to is this: my blog has become a journal for me in the past few years. It is an outlet, a place where I can vent, express creativity, get feedback...it's not just a journal, but a journey. So, here goes.

On March 3rd I had my tonsils taken out. After three episodes of strep throat this year I'd had it! I figured it was time. The kids were going to be with their Dad in Florida for Spring Break and I had someone to stay with me to take care of me so the timing seemed right.

My surgery went without complication. In fact, on Friday I went to High Point to buy a dining room table! Thank you Hydrocodone for making me think the amount I spent was A DEAL. Hah. Whatever, I love the table and wouldn't do it differently.

By Saturday I was really starting to have a lot of pain and had pretty much stopped eating. By Sunday, I had stopped drinking, too. My only intake was the liquid Hydrocodone that I had been prescribed for pain and Ambien to help sleep. By Monday, I was taking Extra Strength Tylenol and Motrin ON TOP of my Hydrocodone which also had Tylenol in it. With no other food or drink. Can you say stupid? Leave it to a nurse to think all that "Tylenol toxicity" stuff wasn't for real.

Thankfully, my friend who was staying with me noted my irrational behavior and took me to the ER. Long story short: my liver enzymes were found to be off the charts...WAY off the charts. My kidneys were failing as well. I was answering questions appropriately but my behavior was far from normal (drawing circles on my admission forms instead of filling them out properly). I was flown from my local hospital to the University of Virginia Hospital. My husband (from whom I'm separated but thank goodness have a good relationship) was still my medical power of attorney. He graciously allowed the good doctors at UVA to intubate me (note the sarcasm there?) and put me on a ventilator. I remained that way for two days, while it was debated whether or not a hole should be drilled in my head to relieve pressure on my brain and how soon I should receive a liver transplant. No joke.
On Thursday, I woke up. Not happy. At all. My whole family was there. Everyone seemed really serious. I had some idea of what had happened, but really no idea at all.

My first concern was my kids. What would they think? What would happen to them? Where were they? My family quickly assured me that they were fine and on the way back from Disney with their Dad. I did not want them to see me in the hospital. Their Dad, again very graciously, drove the two hours to see me and brought my "friend" with him. I had been removed from the ventilator but my troubles were far from over. I was carrying roughly 50 lbs. of fluid weight and faced dialysis and the continued concern over my liver and kidneys.

A dialysis catheter was placed and I received my first round of dialysis on Friday. I was transferred out of the ICU. I spent the next week and a half in the hospital receiving dialysis and recovering. I was discharged a month ago and have SLOWLY recovered at home. No more dialysis, liver is fine, kidneys are fine, I am SO LUCKY. Can't take Tylenol if I have a headache, but SO LUCKY!!! My stepmom stayed with me for two weeks. I seriously could not have made it without Mimi! My house has never been so clean. My friends have been sending meal after meal and have been so generous.

Needless to say, having all that time to lie in a hospital bed gives you lots of time to ponder your life, your priorities, what's real and what's not...

I'm so appreciative...so much MORE appreciative, that is, of my family and all that they mean to me and do for me. I'm not in a HURRY to move on with my life after divorce, but I'm certainly sure of the choices I've made and look forward to the future. It's hard to cherish everyday when you're exhausted and not completely recovered, but I'm trying. I still don't think I have a full realization of what happened. My friend is more a part of my life than ever and is truly my angel. Were it not for him I would surely be dead. Thank goodness he had the good sense to take me to the hospital, despite my apparent demands that he not (I don't remember anything after Sunday, so I can't argue with what I've been told!).

My kids are doing GREAT. They were so spoiled the entire time..they're none the wiser! My new home is framed, roof is in place, and we're moving on! More on that later.

Another thing I became very clear about while hospitalized was what I really want to do in the future. I've renewed my nursing license, but that's not at all what I want to do for life. Sooooo...in the next day or so I'll be unveiling my newest venture. Stay tuned!

46 comments:

Precious and Pink said...

wow, so glad you are feeling better and on the mend. What a terrifying thing to go through!

Anne said...

Oh my goodness - how terrible! I'm SO sorry you went through all of that but am glad to hear everyone is doing well in spite of it. Keep us posted on how you're feeling - thinking of you! Can't wait to hear about the new venture!

mFw said...

Oh my word you have had the toughest year. I just can't believe it! I'm glad you're better now and can't wait to read more!

AEOT said...

Wow, I cannot believe you had to go through all that. I'm so thankful you are healthy and okay now. I have to imagine it was incredibly scary for your whole family to see all this. I'm a Nurse Practitioner, so this really hits home as to how serious all this was. Can you just stick to motrin from here on out??? :)

Susan said...

Oh my gosh! I saw on Happy Houswife's blog that you were not well but what a scary story to read. So glad to hear you are doing better and wishing you a continued recovery! (even though we don't know one another!!)

Heather Henderson said...

wow, that is quite and ordeal - almost like an episode of House!!
Very happy to hear that you are recovering and doing well. all my best, Heather

PaperCourt said...

So scary! Glad to hear your are doing well. Can't wait to hear about your new venture!!!

Muffy said...

OH MY GOONDESS! How life can change so suddenly!!! You are SO lucky it turned out as it did!!! GRACIOUS!!!!!!!

I was very ill last year and I can sympathize with that horrid feeling of being in a hospital and not knowing exactly what will happen. TERRIBLE!!!

Make sure to keep us updated!!!!

Xx,
Muffy

JMK said...

Oh dear heavens! So happy you are ok and glad to have you back! I'm dying to hear about your new venture!

Michelle said...

That is insane! So glad you're on the mend!

Jennifer said...

Glad your back! I missed you!Take care of yourself.

Nelly said...

as always, Im so happy for you! proud proud proud!

KJJ Houston said...

wow Im so glad you are ok, thats so scary!!

Alyssa said...

Wow, you are a tough cookie! Glad to hear you are doing better!

Mom of Three said...

Oh my god... I am so glad you are ok now... I work in a dialysis unit as a Social Worker, and I can only begin to understand what you were going through. I look forward to you blogging again, and I am so glad you are ok.

KatiePerk said...

What a scary experience. I am glad you are on the mend. Keeping you in my thoughts!

Sandra said...

So glad you are okay! This is a lesson to all of us. Excited to hear about your new venture!! xoxo

Barefoot in the Park said...

oh my goodness! so glad everything is ok! cant wait to hear about your plans!

Anonymous said...

holy guacamole! glad to hear you are ok!

M said...

Oh wow, so sorry to hear about this but so glad you are on the mend!!

Preppy Mama said...

Wow, I was not expecting that story! I am so happy you are on the mend. How scary!! You are nothing short of amazing. I can not wait to see what your new venture entails!!

Ashley Seawell Photography said...

so glad everything is ok! can't wait to see house pics! and more of your pics!

Sherrie said...

What a frightening experience! I am so glad you are on the mend.

Jessica Ryan said...

Oh how scary! I can't begin to imagine what you have been going through. I m glad that you are recovering... take it slowly... one day at a time. Family and friends are truly wondrous when you need the, aren't they?

Can't wait to hear about your future plans!

lizziefitz said...

Ok ,Who starts a post like that with a dining room table purchase?WHEW! I have had you in my prayers, I was really worried about you. I read Liver transplant list on Happy Homemaker and about fell flat. You seem to be in great spirits. Take good care of yourself. I look forward to the big reveal:)

Brittney said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so glad you're ok and feeling better. Rest up!

Love Being A Nonny said...

Oh My Word. How scary! Glad you are doing better! Take good care of yourself. You are blessed!

jillskict said...

Oh my goodness, thankfully you are on the road to recovery and have such wonderful people around you! Can't wait for the next chapter to unfold!

leigh said...

Dang! I haven't read you blog (or anyone else's, for that matter) in months and then come across this! I'm so glad everything turned out ok for you!

Deborah said...

Wow, what a time you have been through. So glad you are feeling better and appreciating all good things in life!

Lisa G said...

Oh my!! what an "adventure", glad things are looking up! Yes us nurses know thinkg like this will never happen to us! so Sorry get well soon!
lisa g

Amy Marie said...

I enjoy reading your blog and am so sorry to hear that you were so ill. So happy that you are feeling better, and that this was another trip on your journey and the NEW YOU!

Karen said...

Oh, wow! I am so sorry you have been through such an ordeal. I am glad you are doing well now and had the love and support of your family and friends. Thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

Southern Cupcake said...

OMGoodness! Prayers and well wishes sent!I am glad you are better!

CeCe said...

Wow. Just wow.

Preppy Napkin said...

I am so glad to be reading this-written by you and not your obituary-you had us terrified and I knew my and so many others lives would not be the same without you!

Miss Dixie said...

Sippycups,

God bless you and keep you! You have been through the ringer for a while now. Better days are ahead.
Miss Dixie

Jill said...

That is quite the story!! So glad you are healing. Thank God your friend took you to the hospital. Happy thoughts are coming from me:)

Nina said...

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry you had to endure all of that. I am so glad you are okay. I am looking forward to many more blog posts from you.

Hokie Girl said...

I'm in disbelief as I read! WOW what an ordeal you have been through. I'm so glad that the kids were not with you during all of this and that you have such a great friend to help take care of you! Hope you are on the up and up now and getting back into daily life without any complications! Praying for you!

linda said...

OMG! Iam so,so,so glad you are okay. What an ordeal....My prayers are with you.

Loraine said...

have read your blog for quite a long time...

i am so glad that you are on the road to recovery...

hope that things start looking up for you soon.

Some Like it Southern said...

Oh my goodness! I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better!
Excited to hear about the new blog and venture!

Debra said...

Wow! How scary. So glad you are doing well and have a wonderful support group.

Jennifer Foster said...

Sadly, I was missing you....I am so sorry to hear about your ordeal! Can't wait to see the new blog :-)

Unknown said...

WOW! How scary! And you are so lucky!

I have considered getting my tonsils removed also... But have heard that it is extremely painful for adults.

I have to say you have scared me a little bit...